The best way to increase productivity while working on one system is to use a second monitor. However, sometimes Windows 10 does not detect the second monitor. If you encounter this “second monitor not detected” error, you can fix it yourself with the help of our guide.
So let’s find out why your Windows 10 is not detecting the second monitor and the steps to get it working again. Here we are:
Why doesn’t my computer detect my second monitor? – Primary reasons
Does your computer not detect the second monitor in Windows 10? It could be due to outdated video drivers. Or probably, you incorrectly installed the latest drivers. In these cases, the computer may not be able to mirror the desktop to the second monitor. Fortunately, you can fix this “Windows can’t detect second monitor” error by following the troubleshooting steps.
How to fix when the second monitor is not detected by the PC?
To resolve this error, we will implement the following steps mentioned below.
- Go back to previous video driver
- Update the video driver
- Check your monitor’s refresh rates
- Change project mode
Here are the four easy ways to make your monitor work with the second screen. Next we will understand these methods with a manual procedure. Please let us know how to fix it if a second monitor is not detected in Windows 7 or Windows 10.
Solution 1 – Go back to the previous video driver
There are cases where installing the latest video drivers may not work in Windows 10 as expected. As a result, your second monitor is not detected in Windows 10 HDMI. To eliminate this problem, you can simply roll back to the previously installed video drivers. So when Windows 10 does not detect the second monitor, you can follow the steps given below:
- To get started, you can use the Windows key along with the R key on your keyboard. This will bring up the Run dialog box on the screen.
- Next to that, you can type devmgmt.msc in the text field and hit the Enter button.
- You will now see the Device Manager window. Here, in the Display adapters section, you can right-click on the device software.
- Then you can select the Properties option.
- At this point, you can click on the Driver tab and hit the Roll Back Driver option.
- After that, you can follow the instructions on the screen.
- Once it is done, the Roll Back driver will be disabled and you can install the old video driver from the manufacturer’s official website. After that, you can update the video driver.
- Once the video driver installation process is complete, you can restart your computer and check if the second monitor is detected by the computer.
This is how you can fix if your second monitor is not detected in Windows 7 or Windows 10. In case the second monitor is not detected by Windows 10 even after restoring old drivers, you need to get the right video driver for your computer and install it. with the latest version. Let us know more in the next step.
Solution 2 – Update the video driver
If you’ve reverted to your old video drivers and yet Windows 10 doesn’t detect your second monitor, you may have installed the wrong driver. To get the correct driver, you can follow these two types of driver update ideas:
- Manual driver update
- Automatic driver update
Manual driver update
In the manual method, you can directly visit the manufacturer’s website. Then you can search for the latest driver for your video card. After that, you can update the video drivers manually.
Note: Make sure to choose the video driver that is fully compatible with your Windows 10 PC.
Automatic driver update
Some users are not tech-savvy and instead of updating drivers manually, they look for automatic options. Fortunately, there are tools like Driver Easy that make your task quick and automatic. If you are one of those who want to perform an automatic driver update, you can follow the steps below:
- First of all, you can download and install Driver Easy on your computer.
- Then you can run Driver Easy and hit the Scan Now button. This will scan and detect problems with the drivers installed on your computer.
- After driver detection is complete, you can click the Update All button. This will automatically download and install the correct version of your drivers.
- After that, you can restart your computer and connect the two monitors. If you see the computer does not detect the second monitor in Windows 10, so you should check the refresh rates of the screen.
This is how you can fix when second monitor is not detected in Windows 10 HDMI. After implementing this step, if Ubuntu does not detect the second monitor, make sure the monitor update is repeated for both monitors.
Solution 3 – Check your monitor refresh rates
The screen refresh rate indicates the number of times the screen updates images. Therefore, the refresh rate of the monitor or screen plays an important role, especially when two monitors are connected. However, some graphics cards may not support the refresh rate, thus causing the error “PC cannot detect second monitor”.
Also, your computer does not detect the second monitor on Windows 10 because the screen refresh rate for both monitors is different. To deal with this situation, you need to make sure that the screen refresh rate is the same on both monitors. To make this work, you can do the following.
- The first step is to use the Windows key in conjunction with the I key on the keyboard.
- The Windows setup page will be displayed. Here you can click on the System option.
- Now you can click on the Advanced Display Settings option.
- Here you will see the display adapter properties for Display 1, click on it.
- In the next step, you can click on the video card properties for Display 2.
- At this point, you can check if the refresh rate of both screens is the same. In case you find different screen refresh rates, you can change the rate to be the same for both monitors. Then you can press the Apply and OK button. This will definitely connect the second monitor to your main monitor.
In case you find that the refresh rates are the same but the second monitor is not detected by the Intel HD Graphics control panel, you can change the project mode. To understand it better, you can go to the next solution to find the best solution.
Solution 4: Change project mode
When your computer detects the wrong project mode, it often shows “Windows 10 second monitor is not detected by the computer”. In this scenario, you can simply change the project mode and fix the problem. To do this, you can follow the steps mentioned below.
- As the first step, you need to press the Windows key along with the P key on your keyboard.
- Then you can click the Duplicate option. This will display the same screen on both monitors.
- In case you want to get more jobs, you can select the Extend option.
After applying all these methods, you would have got rid of “Windows 10 not detecting second monitor” error. Then you can expand the screen using both monitors.
It is common when Ubuntu does not detect the second monitor. If you are facing “second monitor not detected” issue, you can resolve this issue by implementing the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article. For example, you can roll back old drivers, update the driver to the compatible version, change the project mode, or make sure the refresh rates of both monitors are the same. This will help you resolve the “Windows does not detect the second monitor” error.
Apart from that, if yours the computer turns on but the screen does not show up, so you can refer to this selected guide.